Saturday, May 22, 2010

All Clear!!!

On Wednesday of this past week I had my post op appointment with my plastic surgeon.  I had been a bit anxious about the appointment because I knew that before he could say this skin cancer was behind me, I had to get the pathology results.  When a skin cancer is removed, they take a margin of healthy skin also, so as to have clear borders, without cancer cells at the incision.  When the wonderful assistant, Lori, walked me in to the room she gave me two thumbs up and told me the pathology came back perfect.  HUGE sigh of relief, no more surgery needed!

Dr. McGill came in and quickly announced the same results and said "so, this one is behind you"....to which I replied "yes, this one, right?"  The reality is that I will have to vigilant in watching my skin, with the help of my dermatologist.  The damage to my skin started 41 years ago when I was born in Daytona Beach Florida and continued through my trips to the beach, swimming competitively in outdoor pools all summer, living outside as a child (all summer, outside except for lunch, dinner, and having to come home when the streetlights came on--remember those days??), going to parades, camping, and more ALL without ,use of sunscreen or hats.  Dr. McGill himself said the damage is done; but I need not add to the damage--which I won't.  I'm going to be proudly pale skinned and yes, my friends, co-workers, and family are constantly reminded about the dangers when I see they are burned, or know they are fake and baking (NICOLE), and have little children.....It's all fun and games until a chunk of skin has to be cut out of your body....face, ears, nose, arm, leg, shoulder, foot, hands.....skin cancer doesn't discriminate where it makes it's appearance.

I was fortunate this time....Basal Cell Carcinoma is the least lethal type of skin cancer.  It doesn't spread fast, and if you catch it early, only a small chunk of skin needs to be removed.  Please, be vigilant about your skin and watch changes.  Many of my friends and co-workers are making appointments with my dermatologist as a result of what I've just gone through--they've never been, they've had skin damage and they've never had their skin looked at.  I am happy that my being open about what is going on with me is helping friends make a difference in their lives.

Enjoy this beautiful weekend and please, don't forget to use your sunscreen today!!

**Right after writing this I went to walk at our local Relay For Life event, for our team #relayteamtwitter and the one other survivor I met on our team, also had skin cancer, it is everywhere folks**

No comments:

Post a Comment